If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Sidecar axle removal

Mike Goldthorpe

Sidecar axle removal

Post by Mike Goldthorpe »

I hope I am in the right area.
While not strictly BMW related, I know the Steib S501 was fitted to many a BMW so I am asking for help here. Can one remove the axle from the torsion suspension? Just the axle, not the whole suspension. There appears to be a sort of cap on the pivot - is it removable?
Reason I ask is because I would like to thin out the stub axle so I can use the same hubs and wheels as the bike I am going to hook the sidecar to (it's a Ural.....sorry! "My" R50 is fun as a solo and it would be dangerously slow as an outfit, I feel. Plus...most important plus...the R50 belongs to my father really and I don't think he wants it as an outfit!).
I have perused the internet and looked at all the catalogues available. Loads of pictures of projects, none of people restoring their S501s!

Any help and advice most gratefully received!

Quick edit to attach picture of the "cap" in question. It is fairly well stuck on.
Attachments
20150503_150138.jpg
20150503_150138.jpg (2.99 MiB) Viewed 2383 times
20150503_150130.jpg
20150503_150130.jpg (4.1 MiB) Viewed 2383 times
One of the few R50 owners in New Zealand

schrader7032

There is a sidecar group on

Post by schrader7032 »

There is a sidecar group on Yahoo. Have you checked there?
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Mike Goldthorpe

Yes

Yes, Kurt, I have. No response. I'll try the STC group and ADV Rider. Seems the torsion suspension is there for life. Not sure what the circling apparently holding it in is for as there's no way that's coming out!
Ah well, will keep looking and experimenting. Bound to be something in the Internet....just have to keep looking!

Cheers!

capebretonmarkbmw

That looks like

Post by capebretonmarkbmw »

Hi, that looks like the end of a shaft not a cap. I would think that the cast arm is pressed onto this shaft. I would try heat and a puller and gentle persuasion. Mark

Mike Goldthorpe

You're right Mark

It is. I drilled a tiny hole in the middle and it's no cap. I'll leave well alone - I'm going to convert a hub to run that. As far as I can tell I need a 6025 bearing with a bush to make it fit the 22mm shaft (available from Steib repop suppliers). I'll be using a Dnepr hub - they can be polished and are cheap :-)

Be needing a body once there's a wheel and fender on it...think a Cosy might be modified to fit as they're more readily available in NZ than Steib bodies.

jrapose

That arm is bent differently

Post by jrapose »

That arm is bent differently than the arms for right handed sidecar rigs.... I have a left handed one from a rig that I converted years ago... (I would never do that again...much work) Yes it is the end of the axle and not a cap...the axle presses in from that direction...

Joel
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA
http://rapose.biz/