If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

bead blasting cylinders

djg

bead blasting cylinders

Post by djg »

Is it OK to bead blast cylinders? My concern is harming the bore or oil passage. I tried to tape (duct tape) the bore but found abrasive residue on the first try. What is the safe way to remove paint and prepare for paint? I tried cover bore ends with duct tape but found residue in bore after removing tape so I've stopped but now need to know how to proceed. I need to safely clean to first cylinder and do the second one properly. Your suggestions are most appreciated.
DJG

capebretonmarkbmw

I would suggest

Post by capebretonmarkbmw »

I would suggest soda blasting. Then clean off the residue with soap and water ,then prep for paint.

iagins

Or better still, vapor

Post by iagins »

Or better still, vapor blasting. I don't think it leaves any residue.

Ira Agins
Santa Fe, NM

Dan Vitaletti

vapor blasting cylinders

Post by Dan Vitaletti »

Vapor Blasting will not embed abrasive particles, nor leave them behind.
It gives a superior finish over soda blasting
No metal is removed or damaged
Contact me if you have any questions or concerns on vapor blasting
Dan Vitaletti
vaporblastsolutions@gmail.com
(505) 946-7097
Attachments
bmw_piston.jpg
bmw_piston.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 3199 times
bmw_cylinder.jpg
bmw_cylinder.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 3199 times

malenchek

Vapor Blasting in KY-Ohio-Tenn area

Post by malenchek »

Anyone have contact information and experience with companies doing vapor blasting in this area?
John

tonyhutchinson

I have had some alloy engine

Post by tonyhutchinson »

I have had some alloy engine parts vapour blasted and had good results but I also had my wheels done to clean up the hubs and the chrome was ripped off the spokes, so I would recommend masking any parts that could be damaged.
Tony

johnpst

Abrassive Blasting/Cleaning Cylinders

Post by johnpst »

Aloha all,

Abrasives and engines do not mix. By definition, abrasive blasting is, well, using an abrasive around the engine. You really need to be careful to; know what the critical areas are, know how to protect them without damaging them, know how to clean all of the abrasive out when complete.

As capebretonmarkbmw said, soda blasting may be a good idea for you at home but, if you are okay with the mess. You can just blow everything on the ground and sweep it up but, it that's not going to work, by the time you build the device, build a containment, and buy the tools to make a soda blaster, you could probably help the economy and make a friend who is an expert that will do a great job for you.

Each part has it particular hazards so, cylinders only;

1. Plug the oil ports. Plug not tape. Seal them completely against the grit and the pressure.
2. Plug the cylinder bore. Good painters/masking tape may be adequate for this if you stuff a rag in there to keep the tape in place.
3. Remove the pushrod tubes so that the bores can be easily cleaned and do not retain any abrasive.
4. Blast away with the lowest pressure you can get away with. This is to prevent the beads from embedding in the aluminum.
5. Rinse thoroughly with a high volume of lightly soapy water and soft/stiff bristled brush to remove any embedded abrasive.
5. Remove all the plugs and tape, rinse again. I mean really rinse and brush clean.
6. Dry with air, blow drier is good.
7. Lightly oil the cylinder bore iron to prevent rust.

I don't want to discourage anyone from doing work at home. I just want to insure you put serious effort to clean using magnifying glasses, and real elbow grease to insure there is no abrasive left before installing.

I hope this helps someone.

John
John
55 - R50, 06-R1200RT, 74 Ducati 750GT, 57 - R69, 78 - R100S

Steevo

Running the parts through a

Post by Steevo »

Running the parts through a hot parts washer, like automotive machine shops use, will remove all of the residue from blast media, much like the dishwasher will, but with less whining from the Mrs.

johnpst

Aloha, Good call Steevo,

Post by johnpst »

Aloha,

Good call Steevo, "like automotive machine shops use". They usually have training on what media and how to remove it from the parts. A good rule of thumb is, if the shop does not have a written procedure for abrasive blasting for each type of job; engine block, cylinder heads, crankshaft, etc., you will have to use you own judgement on whether they are qualified to do the work. If they do have a procedure, you can run it by a trusted professional or even the manufacturer of the abrasive media to get some input. The manufacturer has the greatest motivation to get it right.

So, a procedure should specifically call out the following: abrasive material for each job (usually based on the part or material the part is made of) , size of the abrasive material, maximum use cycle of the abrasive media (even the best media will fracture and become sharp edged or dust and become ineffective or a contaminant), type of machine to be used (pressure or suction side delivery) and maximum pressures.

Awright, let's get back to restoring our bikes. Can't sit around the coffee pot all day.

Thanks all,
John

John
55 - R50, 06-R1200RT, 74 Ducati 750GT, 57 - R69, 78 - R100S