3 replies [Last post]
emerson0's picture
Joined: 09/08/2017
Posts: 1

I have the metal plug covers, and just bought the classic plastic style to replace them. How can I swap these out?
Any help will be appreciated.

schrader7032's picture
VBMWMO #7032
San Antonio, TX
Joined: 10/27/2006
Posts: 6697
It's been a while since I did

It's been a while since I did this. Look at the new plug where the wire is going to go. Do you see a sharp metal barb in there? Basically, I think you just jam the wire down into that hole so that the barb contacts the internal metal of the spark plug wire. I believe it's a matter of yanking the wire off the old caps and pushing them on the new caps. If you can spare the length, it might be a good idea to cut off the last 0.5 to 1.0 inch just to be sure you have good wire for making the new contact.


Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2

Daves79x's picture
VBMWMO #9030
Joined: 08/09/2015
Posts: 333

Depending on the style you have, there may be a brass screw connection accessed from the plug end. It will have a sharp post than pierces the plug wire that you insert from the other end. Make sure you install the rubber boot over the wire before installing the new plug.




wa1nca's picture
VBMWMO #8374
Ashfield Ma.
Joined: 09/27/2012
Posts: 441
Spark plug caps

My metal plug caps have a brass screw inside the cap and the plug wire is screwed into it
To remove hold the plug wire and unscrew the cap
They can be tight and you may have to hold the plug wire with pliers or something similar

If your new caps have the brass screw in side the cap
Like Kurt suggested cut 1/4 1/2 inch off old wire if it long enough to do so and push the wire into the plug cap and then screw the cap into the plug wire



Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3 55 R50 64 R27 68 R69US 68 Sears Allstate 250 (Puch)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.